a question on SOAP

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jun 17 20:33:04 EDT 2002

Rajarshi Guha wrote:

> Hi,
>   I'm, using SOAP.py (0.9.7) and Python 2.2. I have a small python script
> acting as a 'server' and another script calls functions on the server.
> Currently both client and server are on the same machine. However when
> the client calls the server I get the following errors:
> '
> Traceback (most recent call last):
[...]
>   File "/usr/local//lib/python2.2/httplib.py", line 379, in connect
>     raise socket.error, msg
> socket.error: (111, 'Connection refused')
>
> My firewall is off, nmap shows that the port 8080 is open, so why would
> the server be refusing connections?

Presumably you've already checked the basic things like that
your code is really connecting on port 8080 and not the standard
http port?  Have you also tried connecting manually with telnet?
Something like "telnet localhost 8080" should work, and if you type
"get / HTTP/1.0" and hit enter a couple of times you ought to get
some reply if an HTTP server is listening.

You don't give enough for anyone to do more than suggest that
"you're right, it doesn't look like it's working". :-)

-Peter