MS SQL connectivity

Hans Nowak wurmy at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 6 22:35:48 EDT 2002

Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> I'm currently faced with the... interesting task of talking to an MS SQL
> Server 8.0 database running on W2k, from Python running on GNU/Linux.

MS SQL 8.0, that's the same as 2000, right? If so, you might consider using
SQLXML. You talk to the server through HTTP, sending either a GET statement
with an "URL" containing SQL, or a POST statement with an updategram containing
SQLXML. The result set also comes back as XML.

This way of working is very portable, and you need no drivers, but it's not
perfect. NULL values are by default excludes from the result set (although you
can change this), and posting binary data would be a bit of a problem. Also,
you'll need to write your own basic set of functions/methods to talk to it with
Python, interpret the results, etc.

If you can't get any of the other methods to work, this may be something to
consider.

--
Hans (base64.decodestring('d3VybXlAZWFydGhsaW5rLm5ldA=='))
# decode for email address ;-)