Cross platform spawning

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Jun 11 12:08:23 EDT 2002

[Peter Scott wrote]
> I am trying to make a script spawn a seperate process, like you would
> do like this on unix:
>
> os.system('python myscript.py myargument &')
>
> But the & at the end (to make a separate process) doesn't work on
> Windows. I want the script to run on both Linux (*BSD, whatever) and
> Windows. I didn't want to have to find out the path to the python
> interpreter, so os.spawnlp (with no blocking) sounded perfect until I
> saw that it wasn't available on Windows.
>
> Does anyone out there know what I can do in this situation?

You could try to use os.spawnl(), which *is* availble on Windows. The
only pain is that you have to manually determine the full path to the
executable yourself via some which-like algorithm. I have attached a
script of mine that can do that on Windows and Linux (though I haven't
teseted it a *whole* lot.

Cheers,
Trent

--