urllib question

Wladimir gnufnork at fuckspam.hetdigitalegat.nl
Mon Jun 10 22:56:51 EDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:35:07 +0200, rdack wrote:

> this works but i don't understand it. it retrieves data from my router.
>   params = urllib.urlencode({'RC': '@D', 'ACCT' : "root", 'PSWD' :
> "71:29:26", 'URL': 'admin' })
>   ipurl = "http://" + iphost + "/cgi-bin/logi"
<   urlfp = urllib.urlopen(ipurl, params)

> i was wondering exactly what those params mean. i have some other code
> that wants a user name and password and i don't know what to give it. is
> the username = 'root'? and what is the password? a string with 3 two
> digit numbers separated by colons?

So it passes four parameters to the script

[name]		[value]
RC		@D
ACCT		root
PSWD		71:29:26
URL		admin

What those parameters exactly mean is not a python issue but propetiary to
the router in question. (see router docs for that)

> what is the 'URL' param mean?
> somewhere to find documentation?

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-urllib.html would be a good
place to start :D