yield equivalent in C/JavaScript?

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Sun Jun 30 04:58:26 EDT 2002

In article <7xit41i7i9.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin <phr-
n2002b at NOSPAMnightsong.com> writes
>Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
>> the generators here are things  associated with compression or
>> decompression methods. The complexity is such that a severe
>> reformulation will be tough. I understand the concept, but I think it's
>> easier to just try and consume the whole input at one go and pass it on.
>
>If you are trying to implement data compression in javascript with
>large enough inputs that memory consumption is a problem, you probably
>have worse problems than absence of "yield".  Javascript is so slow
>your program will probably be near unuseable.  What's the JS
>environment and the application?  If it's client side JS in a web
>browser, you're probably using the wrong approach to the problem.  If
>it's something like Netscape server side JS, use the LiveConnect stuff
>to implement the compression in C.

You're exactly right and OK as I now understand from the JavaScript guys
that it's easy to set the following headers+content in the server
response

content.gz

and have most modern browsers accept and decode properly. Phew, maybe I
don't have to implement UNBWT/UNARI in JavaScript :)

However the content.gz data has to be exactly compatible with gzip. My
experiments with Python-2.1/zlib on freeBSD give me a compressed string
that's slightly too long for some reason. As an example gzip --> 14099
bytes while zlib.compress-->15008 bytes.

Anyone know what I need to do to make zlib work properly in this
context? Or should I really be using the gzip module?
--
Robin Becker