Using Python to script a game?

Bruce Dawson del_brucedawson_del at del_cygnus-software_del.com
Mon Jun 17 03:45:04 EDT 2002

I did a Game Developers Conference talk on using Python in games.
Our company (Humongous Entertainment's) decided to move to it as
our scripting language for all games (weaning ourselves off of a ten
year dependence on 'SCUMM'). I made a list of all of the games I
could find that were using Python. The list is:

Freedom Force
ToonTown
EveOnline
Blade of Darkness
Frequency (PS2)
Game Blender (game engine)
PyGame (game engine)
MindLathe (AI middleware)
All future Humongous PC/Macintosh games

There are some big games in that list.

Ultima Online 2 was also rumoured to be using Python.

For those who are interested, the article and power point slides can be
found at:

http://www.cygnus-software.com/papers/gamescriptinginpython.html