Python and remote sensing

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi at kfunigraz.ac.at
Mon Jun 24 05:23:52 EDT 2002

Hi,

a technician of us asked me whether it is possible to do the following:

Starting a script on Unix at lets say 2 am and calling a remote site
(http://www.whatever...) and that site should become passively processed
(the site holds 41 observing stations). Is it possible to start a remote
script (automatically) connect to a http page and retrieve information
from that html-page?

I answerd Perl or Python can do the job. But I am not sure whether that
is correct.

I am sure the above topic has been asked 1000 times. Or is there a tool
or program availabe which can do the job better?; I mean our technican
has never heard of Python and I am not interested to make web based (put
in the right term here) programming or the like.

If Python can do it - okay; if not please say so (if Python is dead -
okay; if Python lives - okay)!

Thanks,
S. Gonzi