Creating Dynamic Web Pages (ZOPE)

Nicola Larosa nico at tekNico.net
Fri Jun 7 11:52:31 EDT 2002

> Thanks for the reply and all the good information and links.

You're welcome, nothing like a good jumpstart to save time.

> You have not only helped in making my decision easier (not that it
> seems I need to decide in the end)

Now, I would slow down a bit. Surely Zope is a good Web tool, and the most
known in the Python world, but it's not the only one.

Based on your requirements it is likely the best choice for you, but it's
*my* opinion, so you could do worse than to give a look to a few alternative

Webware (the most J2EE-like, and quite featureful)
http://webware.sourceforge.net/

SkunkWeb (smaller, but well endowed)
http://skunkweb.sourceforge.net/

Quixote (the smallest, a little jewel, PTLs are a charm)
http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/quixote/

All of them within the reach of the Snake, of course. :^) And there's also
Paul Boddie's description of some of them, to save another little bit of
your time:

http://www.boddie.org.uk/python/web_frameworks.html

> Management here is not exactly that computer literate and don't really
> understand Open Source software (like a lot of people) and as we run
> primarily a Microsoft shop it's good to know in advance that ZOPE will
> work nicely with what's already in place (I know that the Tech guys
> will raise concerns for sure).

Tell them to sleep soundly, they are accustomed to weaker stuff, after all.
[No smile here]

> P.S. Thanks also for the weekend reading -- I will grab the ZOPE book
> and look through it this weekend!!

Have fun with all the examples, you'll need a working install to make the
most of it.

--
"Too much cleverness in the parser can turn against you."
   Guido Van Rossum

Nicola Larosa - nico at tekNico.net