What language - platform use to data acquisiton/numerical work?

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Thu Jun 13 20:27:17 EDT 2002

In article <Xns922CCF37357A2cliechtigmxnet at 62.2.16.82>,
Chris Liechti  <cliechti at gmx.net> wrote:
>mdtorre at freemail.it (Matteo) wrote in
>news:1c849ea9.0206130130.6cdaa36f at posting.google.com:
			.
			.
			.
>> The data analisys numerical procedures have to be done in matlab due
>> to their complexity and specialization, and I fear even the plotting
>> will have to be done in Matlab. I have seen there are some bridges
>> from Phyton to Matlab, how they are?
>
>there are some modules but there are better solutions. e.g. Numpy is very
>powerful for work with vectors and matrices (it has some sililaities with
>matlab). SciPy and ScientificPython give additional toolboxes. (you should
>find them easily using google.com)
As wonderful as Matlab is, the experience of many
people is that, when they learn Python, they largely
abandon Matlab in its favor.  Even though Matlab
seems targeted at just your situation, Python is so
strong in its cleanliness and expressive power that
it manages to best Matlab in several of Matlab's
strengths (let alone the latter's weaknesses).

>> My problem here is where to start developing in Pyyhon and where to
>> stop in ML. ML has a very simple and good sistem of building GUIs, how
>> is Pithon?
>
>you have many choices. Tk is supplied, wxWindows, pyQT and pyGTK are often
>used ones. (or try anygui if you don't want to decide :-)
>
>> Finallly I hope to develop the wrapping GUI layer in Phyton. Again,
>> has Python some simple and good GUI support? I've seen that the most
>> widely used GUI module is something in tcl/tk (which I don't know at
>> all). Considering that I don't know python nor tcl/tk, how is the
>> learnig and developing curve?
>
>getting started with tkinter should be easy. i often use wxWindows which is
>nastier to debug but good looking with nice license.
>you might be able to find a visualisation component (SciPy and co deliver
>some tools i think) if you find such a component you might want to choose
>the toolkit the component uses :-)
			.
			.
			.
You can reasonably expect to install and begin
using Python in a couple of hours.  If you want
to begin with GUIs, you can have small example
Tkinter programs running almost immediately.

Tkinter is the Python version of Tcl/Tk.  You
can reasonably expect Tkinter's capabilities to
closely match those of Tcl/Tk--in fact, it's
possible, in general, to ask Tkinter to interpret
Tcl scripts.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net