Socket error problem

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jun 13 22:46:18 EDT 2002

"David LeBlanc" <whisper at oz.net> wrote in message
> Ok, that solved the problem. It was caused by the app using it's own
version
> of sockets; overriding the default implementation to create something
called
> a "TimeoutSocket", which don't work on Windows for some reason (something
> worry about later if necessary). Fortunately, all that was required to go
> back to using standard sockets was to remove the override. After chasing
> down a few additional bugs (it seems to ignore it's own config options or
> the doc isn't good enough to describe how to set them properly), it now
> actually slurps mail!! :)
>
> The author of the package said it would never work on Windows - hah! :)
> (Actually, I'm not even going to bother with the QT GUI interface,
although
> I'm sure that's doable as well.)
>
> Thanks for the help!

Well, that's strange: I have used timeoutsockets on Windows with great
success. Perhaps you are using an old version, some of which were extremely
buggy.

You'll be happy to know that the timeout features are likely to make it into
standard sockets for 2.3.

regards
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/