'for every' and 'for any'

Andrae Muys amuys at shortech.com.au
Tue Jun 4 20:40:41 EDT 2002

Gerhard =?unknown-8bit?Q?H=E4ring?= <gh_pythonlist at gmx.de> wrote in message news:<mailman.1023177066.17333.python-list at python.org>...
> * Andrae Muys <amuys at shortech.com.au> [2002-06-03 17:36 -0700]:
> > C dosn't have any 32-bit int types standardised, so what do _you_ use
> > when you need one?
>
> Do you need 32 bit ints or >= 32 bit ints?

Normally >=32, but in that case anyone using anything other than
standard int or long had better be using a domain specific alias
(size_t, time_t, etc).  However when messing with binary data in it's
various forms (network packets, filesystems, executable formats, just
to name a few personal favourates) there are times when you most
definately want N bits *exactly*.  Naturally sometimes N == 32. :)

True, if this integer type is likely to leak into the specific modules
interface I'll generally alias it myself, but internally I usually
won't bother.

Andrae