Defining a method final

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Tue Jun 11 10:19:53 EDT 2002

I think the point of what he is asking for has been missed. Final methods
are not necessisarily private, it means they can't be redefined
("overridden") in derived classes, thus freezing the semantics of the
method.

A plausible scenario for something like this is a class that wraps hardware.
While I might like to create derived classes for text or binary I/O on this
widget, the exact sequence of manipulating the hardware is tricky and can
result in expensive damage if not done exactly right. Therefore, I don't
want derived classes changing the read or write methods of the base class.

In another post, I suggested the idea of pulling the base classes methods
down into the dictionary of the derived classes during __init__ I don't know
if this is a pythonic way to do things (it strikes me as being so), but I
think it would have the desired effect.

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA

http://www.pragmadev.com