Compiling Python

Don Garrett garrett at bgb.cc
Thu Jun 6 16:31:35 EDT 2002

    It's a packaging issue for me. It's worth a lot to be able to just ship a
program to a customer without their needing to understand that I wrote it in
Python (thanks py2exe!). A fact about which they usually don't care. I also
don't have to explain to them how to download/install the Python runtime.

    It's also useful since the runtime matches the version of python I
developed with, and they never have to go update the python runtimes on all
the machines to which they have deployed.

    It would be even more useful if there was an easy way to produce a
standalone RPM or MSI file (depending on the plateform). The MSI file is
probably more useful. The unix people are more capable of dealing with the
extra steps of getting a python program to work.