python version?

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Tue Jun 18 04:37:31 EDT 2002

> From: George Hester [mailto:hesterloli at hotmail.com]
>
> Listen you aren't my daddy.  If you do not want to help
> constructively then please get off my boat.

Not only have various people given you exactly what you want, but they have
also pointed you to locations where you can understand the solution they
presented.

You have in return heaped abuse on these people.

If you are not willing to take people's suggestions and investigate them
then you will not be a very welcome participant here.

Let me summarise:

---

Jeremy Yallop: Look up sys.version and sys.version_info.

You: Traceback (innermost last): File "<Script Block >", line 5, in ?
I think I need a script to do this.

Gerhard: You did not import the sys module.

Dialtone:
>>> import sys
>>> sys.version
'2.2.1 (#34, Apr  9 2002, 19:34:33) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)]'
>>> sys.version_info
(2, 2, 1, 'final', 0)

You: Well yours I haven't the slightest idea what you are getting at.

Jeremy: http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html

(Note, the above URL will tell you *exactly* what Dialtone's message meant).

Peter: I suggest downloading the tutorial and installing Python on
your own machine and using it interactively from the prompt
before you advance to something like ASP scripting.

(Followed by some examples of using Python).

You: Listen you aren't my daddy.  If you do not want to help constructively
then
please get off my boat.

You: I think you guys don't [know] how to do it.

---

If you want to understand what people tell you, you will need at least a
minimal understanding of the Python language: specifically, importing
modules and calling functions. The easiest way to learn this is to install
Python and use it without the extra complications introduced by ASP. Once
you manage to find the version using Python directly (probably via the
interactive prompt) you have met your stated goal (finding the version). You
may *then* like to try the same thing through ASP - I encourage this.

Tim Delaney