Python and SQL Server 2000

Kris J. Zaragoza kzaragoza at attbi.com
Sat Jun 15 15:56:02 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1024112300.2184.python-list at python.org>, Alex Polite wrote:
> I tried to do this a couple of years ago. I think MS SQL Server was
> version 6.x
>
> We used ADO connections via the win32com module. It worked but it was
> kind of sluggish. Then to speed things up I wrote a wrapper around bpc
> (bulk something something, look it up in the MS SQL manual). I think
> we couldn't use mxODBC due to licensing issues. Then in
> the end we moved to MySql.

My first instinct on seeing this reply was to point out that win32com
doesn't run on Red Hat Linux. :-) Then I got to thinking a bit more
about it and realized this may actually be possible.

So, let me add to the original poster's question: Has anyone ever
tried running the Windows version of Python (either the main
distribution or ActiveState's) under Wine to take advantage of the
database drivers, etc.?

Kris

--
Kris J. Zaragoza       | On the face of it, Microsoft complaining about
kzaragoza at attbi.com    | the source license used by Linux is like the