wxPython performance

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sat Jun 1 17:45:50 EDT 2002

Kragen Sitaker wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
> > How fast do you need it to be?  (That's a serious question.
> > Are you planning to open and close the application so frequently
> > that six seconds is unacceptable?)
>
> From a human interface perspective, having to wait six seconds for a
> response to a command (including "start program") is annoying; this is
> the reason for "splash screens".  You don't want people to be annoyed
> every time they start your program.

I realize that.  That's why I was directing the discussion towards
alternatives, such as splash screens... :-)

Other options might include making sure modules are not loaded
until they are needed, or loading them on a separate thread just
after the main program starts.

None of which seems to help the OP.  I'm curious why the Linux
implementation is so much slower than the Win32.  My own machine
is _not_ fast!  (It's only a 233 MHz Pentium MMX.)

-Peter