Getting Tkinter to accept cyrillic text

DR ypoi at spray.se
Tue Jun 11 04:52:56 EDT 2002

I need Tkinter entry and label widgets to support cyrillic letters
(koi8-r). I read in some post that you should change
sys.setdefaultencoding(), but that method doesn't exist in my Python
(I use version 2.2.1) -Has this feature been changed or is my
installation bad? Also there is this locale.setlocale() thing. What
effect does changing it have?

I really would appreciate some kind of checklist, like: Do this, then
change that, then evereything works! Or a patch or something (Win95)

Is there any comprahensive recource for this type of problem? I've
only found some scattered posts so far.

Please help me out, i'm stuck!

regards, DR