I'd give up Perl tomorrow if only...

Derek Thomson derek at wedgetail.com
Mon Jun 24 22:30:15 EDT 2002

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:50:54 GMT, Derek Thomson <derek at wedgetail.com> wrote:
>
>>Among other things, it's one of the reasons I'm tinkering with a Perl ORB.
>

>     There's also XMLRPC, and SOAP, something already supported by both
> languages.

These are no good for reasons I've described elsewhere on this thread.
To summarize, the major problem is this - "How do you represent object
references?". It's the difference between a marshalling scheme (which is
what XMLRPC, SOAP, and CORBA-IIOP are) and a scalable architecture for
distributed systems, which is what CORBA is (distributed as opposed to
merely "client-server").

The simple answer for those who have large bandwidth, and like to waste
it, and therefore want to use SOAP and/or XMLRPC as an on-the-wire
protocol, is to add a CORBA-like infrastructure on top of, say XMLRPC,
which I have in fact done with Fnorb in the xmlrpc branch on SourceForge.

Regards,
Derek.