newbie string question

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Thu Jun 20 23:24:19 EDT 2002

Think of the indices as pointing between the characters. 0 is before the
first character, len(sequence) is just after the last character, like so.

[ a,  b,  c,  d,  e,  f,  g  ]
  0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7
-7  -6  -5  -4  -3  -2  -1

Asking for a single index gives you the index after the pointer, as if
you were saying "move to pointer position 5, then read a single item
(moving forward)".  Asking for a negative index just sets that index =
len(sequence)+index and does the same thing as normal.

Asking for everything between two pointers/indices (slicing) starts from
one pointer, and reads all the items up to the end pointer (which is
sitting just before the character you'd get by asking for pystr[end]).
If your end-pointer is before or equal to the beginning pointer, it's
not going to read anything (there's nothing between the pointers moving
in the forward direction).

So, in the example above,
     0:2  -> a,b
     0:0  ->
     2:3  -> c
     4:-1 -> e,f
     4:-3 ->
     4:-4 ->

HTH,
Mike

PS: Apologies to Tim Peters for mangling his explanation, it's been a
long time since I've read it.

--
   Mike C. Fletcher