Pronouncing '__init__'

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Sat Jun 15 10:14:01 EDT 2002

> I used __init__ just as an example.  I meant how do you pronounce names
> with leading and trailing double underscore in general.  The magic name
> __init__ may be by far the one most commonly encountered in everyday
> programming but __there__ __are__ __many__ __others__.

As Aahz just kindly pointed out my (shared) mistake in thinking of __init__
as a constructor, I withdraw that vote.  ;-)

But I think saying, for example, the str method, in the context of a user
class, is clear enough to indicate __str__.  If you're talking about len(),
you probably just say "len."  If you're talking about __len__, you probably
say, "the len method of x" or just "the len method."  Or "the magic len
method."

Cheers,

// mark

-