Compiling python2.2.1 on redHat 6.1 - doesn't work

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Jun 11 07:49:20 EDT 2002

matthew.russell at securetrading.com (Matt Russell) wrote in message news:<bb06817.0206100526.55f36028 at posting.google.com>...
> Thanks Paul,
> am afraid being a "c" newbie, I have no idea on how to apply the
> patch, would be great if you could provide an example.

Well, the stated bug in question is supposed to be fixed, although the
thread on SourceForge hardly seems to indicate complete satisfaction,
and I'm not entirely convinced that fixing configure.in changes the
underlying issue. Anyway, I think it's enough for you to do the
following:

  1. Copy posixmodule.c somewhere safe. You shouldn't need to do this
     but it makes me feel better!

  2. In the Python-2.2.1 directory (the top level of the source tree)
     download the patch as Python-2.2.1-posixmodule.

  3. Try something like this in that directory:

     patch -p0 < Python-2.2.1-posixmodule

The program should work out which file is to be patched automatically.
You should be able to complete the build from there on. In other
words:

  make

Remember that I haven't tested any of functionality affected by this
patch, and I suppose that what I've done hasn't been rubber-stamped by
the people who really maintain this code, so beware!

Paul