SNIP IT: inspectObject(thing)

Phlip phlip_cpp at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 2 22:24:11 EDT 2002

Hop Nyh:

Because groups.google.com is the world's ultimate backup server, I'm
parking this snippet here. Given most object references, it prints out an
"instant man page" of the value of every member, the name of every local or
inherited method, and every __doc__ string of every method.

Some of it could be replaced by calls into the inspect.py module, and one
could extend it using that module. Put another way I wrote this before I
learned of inspect.py.

def printDocString(thing):
    dok = None

    try:
        dok = thing.__doc__
    except: pass  #  whatEver

    if dok == None:
        dok = ''

    print '"'+dok+'"'

    return

def _showAllMethods(klassList):
    for klass in klassList:
        for z, funk in klass.__dict__.items():
            print klass.__name__+"."+z,
            printDocString(funk)

        _showAllMethods(klass.__bases__)

#
# prints out the dir() for any object in a pretty format.
#
def inspectObject(obj):
    printDocString(obj)
    klass = obj.__class__

    try:
        print "("+klass.__name__+")"
    except(AttributeError):
        pass

    printDocString(klass)

    # TODO: call inspectObject on each member?

    for z in dir(obj):
        print "."+z, repr(getattr(obj, z))

    _showAllMethods([klass])
    return