Efficient python programming...

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jun 6 16:32:19 EDT 2002

[Shagshag13]

> I'm looking for any state of art, optimizing techniques, tips, that a
> python beginner couldn't know by itself, but should learn and would be
> aware to write "efficient and good looking"python's code...

There is a lot of Python code all around to look it, including all the
Python which comes with the Python distribution itself.  I guess you will
quickly get used to grasp in a glimpse which code is worth looking and
which looks less interesting.

One feels when code smells written by people having good taste and
experience.  There is practical principle that people generally who do
well in many aspect of their work, which seem good to you right now,
are likely to do equally well in the aspects which are more new to you.

Also, on the Python site, there are a few essays written by Guido van
Rossum about how one writes and optimises, and on Python in general,
and which I read soon after starting to learn Python.  I found these to
be well written, quite instructive, and very welcome at the time.