[ANN] constraint-0.1

Alexandre Alexandre.Fayolle at logilab.fr
Thu Jun 6 09:58:35 EDT 2002

Hello,

Logilab has released constraint-0.1.

The constraint package is an extensible Constraint Satisfaction Problem
(CSP) solver using constraint propagation algorithms written in 100%
pure Python (tested with Python 2.1)

You can download it from ftp://ftp.logilab.org/pub/constraint, or read a
bit more about it on http://www.logilab.org/python-logic/constraint.html,
and discuss it on the logic-sig mailing list (see
http://lists.logilab.org/mailman/listinfo/python-logic to subscribe)

The package is still young, but we find it useful enough right now, so I
thought I might as well publish it.

What can it do?
 * solve some finite-domain CSP
 * handle n-ary constraints

How can you extend it:
 * by implementing new Domain classes
 * by implementing new constraint classes
 * by implementing new Distributor classes

How well does it perform?
 * 8-queens problems solved in 15 seconds on my 1GHz PC
 * SEND+MORE=MONEY problem solved in 8 seconds on the same machine

If you're interested by constraint propagation programming in python,
please join the logic-sig mailing list.

Alexandre Fayolle
--
LOGILAB, Paris (France).
Narval, the first software agent available as free software (GPL).