Accessing C++ variables from Python

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Wed Jun 26 22:23:18 EDT 2002

Teja Sastry <kurugant at denshi.ece.utk.edu> wrote in
news:mailman.1025138558.21469.python-list at python.org:

> I have a c++ program storing a binary stream into a buffer, i want to
> access that buffer from python. The buffer is actually a cPickled
> binary stream from another program loaded in to c++ 'cuz we use a
> routing layer called diffusion, and its API is in c++ so i have to put
> the variable into C++ to transport it over the network, at the
> receiving end i have another C++ diffusion API program holding the
> variable, i have to transfer it as object back to python, i'm not
> quite sure about how to do this could you please clarify

i think passing around those buffers as python strings will be the easiest
approach. binary or not does not matter for python-strings.

(see below)

> or is there any mailing list for python users

you're already posting to it...

> P.S: I know how to use SWIG and creating shared modules for python

my experience with SWIG is that while it's powerful it doesn't do quite
that waht I want... therefore i end up writing my extensions by hand. (when
i tried it it generated wrapper objects en masse but i simple wanted to
pass around strngs.)

don't know about BOOST or CXX cause i don't use C++ in my projects, but
those get usualy mentioned for Python extensions with C++. maybe one of
those could be very helpful for you.

http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/
http://cxx.sourceforge.net/

chris