Medium to Large Scale Python Deployments

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Fri Jun 7 15:42:16 EDT 2002

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:07:37 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:

>Jürgen Hermann wrote:
>>
>> Peter Hansen wrote:
>> > How big is that when run through pycount?
>> >
>> > (I.e. comments and blank lines don't count!)
>>
>> Summary on "twisted"
>> ====================
>> files                  256
>> lines                51654
>> bytes              1728211
>> comments              5993
>> empty lines          10029
>> non-commentary lines 29910
>
>Thanks!  Similar results to what I've seen over about 50000
>lines in 235 files.  Roughly 50-60% code content, and
>almost twenty percent blank lines.
>
>I suspect such numbers (perhaps excluding lines of comments)
>are more consistent for Python code, whoever wrote it,
>than for many other languages.

Is the "comments" number a count of _pure_ comment lines,
# (like this one) ?

I think it would be interesting to analyze comments further,
to see what the relative comment byte count is overall,
and for lines with both code and comments,
"""like this line:""" # (this has code and comment).

Also maybe separate doc-string lines into a separate category,
since they have a dual nature.

Regards,
Bengt Richter