self

Vojin Jovanovic vjovanov at stevens-tech.edu
Tue Jun 4 14:35:24 EDT 2002

> Which of i, j and k are instance variables?  Which are locals?  Which are
> globals?  For all its virtues, Python isn't telepathic <wink>.

Well, now that you pointed it out, I think that Python should be telepathic.
Those i,j and k variables should have been found in class C, otherwise they
should have been searched outside of the class.  I read the FAQ page that
somebody sent me and I really think that the main reason for self is ...
"When classes were added to Python, this was (again) the simplest way of
implementing methods without too many changes to the interpreter. " which is
the main and really lousy argument.  All, other arguments are debatable.

Now let me give you the problem with self which is making my life
complicated. Consider this class.

class Foo:
 def __init__(self):
  self.__dict__['Equations']={
    'a':str(5),
    'b':'self.a+5',
    'c':'self.b*self.a'}

 def __getattr__(self,arg):
  if self.Equations.has_key(arg) == 0:
   raise AttributeError,  "Foo instance has no attribute '" + arg + "'"
  try:
   try:  #first check if this is a simple expression
    return eval(self.Equations[arg])
   except:  #if not try to execute it
    exec self.Equations[arg]
  except:   #if even that didn't work then just return undefined
   return '#U'

 def __setattr__(self,arg,val):
  self.__dict__['Equations'][arg]=str(val)

 def __delattr__(self,arg):
  del self.__dict__['Equations'][arg]

This class implements a kind of symbolic behavior with the ability to add
new equations on the fly.  For example...

>>> import foo
>>> A=foo.Foo()
>>> A.Equations
{'b': 'self.a+5', 'c': 'self.b*self.a', 'a': '5'}
>>> A.f='self.b*self.c'
>>> A.f
500
>>> A.Equations
{'f': 'self.b*self.c', 'b': 'self.a+5', 'c': 'self.b*self.a', 'a': '5'}

As you can see, equations get added on the fly and the parsing gets done as
the attribute is being called.  Now, notice that ugly self. thing in the
equations.  Instead of just typing >>>A.f='a*c' I have to add self in front
a and c to achieve the desired effect.  I could not find any other way to
implement the class in order to avoid typing self. which of course it
doesn't mean that there isn't any. If anybody has an idea how to do this
please let me know.  Otherwise, here is the situation where the self
concept is bad and having such a dynamic language like Python I think there
has to be a way out of this problem.

Why is this all relevant? Well, I am working on embedding an interpreted
language in a large engineering application and Python is  one of few
candidates.  So I have been looking for its pros and cons.  So far it passed
all the tests except the above.  Because, imagine if we required from the
user of our system that he needs to type self. or even s. in front of every
new variable that he has in his equation, it would be a big turn off.

Vin