prototyping good OOdesign in Python?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Sun Jun 2 23:31:49 EDT 2002

On Sat, 1 Jun 2002, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

>> Well, if you still follow this thread, the question is - how well
>> Python could serve as an ARCHITECTURAL prototype if it has too rich
>> OOP facilities? That is, is Python of help when trying to
>> prototype certain design? Developing in C++ looks so unnecessary hard
>> after things were done in Python...
>> Or, it may be put this way: what discipline a Python programmer must
>> obey to allow it's prototype to be conveniently rewriten in C++?
>>
>> The above thoughts aren't probably well-formed. But I hope
>> my concern is understood.
>>

>architectural prototyping is what I usually use python for when I prototype,
>the other use is rapid class creation for behaviour testing.  You have to keep
>in mind the goal of eventually porting to C++ but it is a prototype so there is
>not a lot of code there anyway.

But, for example, C++ has 3 categories of object attributes. Do you mark
them somehow in Python, group them to be later marked as public,
protected, private? And there are lot's of details like this one.

Related topic is UML with Python. Does UML has everything to reflect
Python OO model or does it need to add features?
(Or maybe in order to interoperate, there is a need not to use some
of Python features).

And if in order to interoperate with less expressive languages/systems,
how to keep Python pythonic and not fall back to some standard universal
subset, found in many programming languages.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
\_ Russia \_ Karelia \_ Petrozavodsk \_ rnd at onego.ru \_
\_ Monday, June 03, 2002 \_ Powered by Linux RedHat 7.2 \_