ANN: PyUnitTestBrowser 004

Phlip phlip_cpp at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 00:47:36 EDT 2002

<posted & mailed>

Pynt Ho:

First the non-good news. I've done everything but retest under Windows. It
could work perfectly, screw up a test over some trivial 'os.sep' issue, or
even go boom because I replaced 'reload' with 'import imp' and the internal
calls like 'find_module' and 'load_module'. They started totally instantly
and aggressively working (on Linux), so I stopped asking questions.

Dox: http://flea.sourceforge.net/BrowseMe.html

Get: http://flea.sourceforge.net/browser004.zip

Spin: http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?PyUnitTestBrowser

Pitch:

An alternative guitestrunner for PyUnit. Its features, in combination with
your editor and your console, form a plug-n-play Python Test-First IDE,
tuned for very-large scale pythonic projects, hypothetically on any
platform.

The highlights:

 - trigger a test event when your file saves

 - incrementally test...
        - a single test case
        - a single test suite
        - a single test module
        - all test files in the current folder
        - an entire folder hierarchy, recursively

 - keyboard or mouse support to
        - run the UI,
        - launch tests,
        - and launch your editor

 - your __doc__ strings displayed at test selection time

 - dynamic refresh when you add new test suites or cases

 - locate tests thru a module's 'suite' function,
        -  or by scanning it for descendents of TestCase.

 - selectively navigate Kate, Idle or Vim to
        - test failure points
        - syntax errors
        - test suites
        - test cases
        - testee classes
        - testee methohs
        - a debugging trace statement

 - arbitrarily complex command lines now supported

 - non-heinous documentation in one handy Web page

Put them together, and you select the test in question, keep your keyboard
focus in your editor with your digits on the home row and your hands off
the mouse, hit Save over and over again, perceive the Green Bar, and
achieve Flow.

Satisfaction guaranteed or triple your money back.

--
  Phlip
   http://www.greencheese.org/PhilosophyBrethrenThree