writing a chat program

Shaun Whelden shaunw at liberateschool.com
Tue Jun 4 12:40:33 EDT 2002

Hi all,
I'm trying to throw together a simple text-based chat program in
Python.  Here's the problem I have right now: I need a way to allow
the user to be entering in a message they want to send, while at the
same time waiting for any data that may come through the socket.  If
data does come through the socket, I need the user to be able to
continue typing while the data is printed to the screen.

I'm writing this on a Windows machine, so curses is out of the
question.  Also, I want this to be a text based program, so I don't
want to have to mess around with Tkinter or any other forms of GUI
unless I have to.  I'm pretty sure that I need to do something
involving thread.py and/or threading.py, but I've never used a thread
before in my life.  Can anyone help?

Shaun Whelden
shaunw at liberateschool.com