Wanted: Potential Python Authors

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Jun 12 18:59:24 EDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 17:27, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> >- Expert programmer
> No, definitely not. Most programmers are not trained on writing
> tutorials or books - and normally they are really bad.
> Look more for someone trained as technical writer.

I don't think programmers deserve that reputation -- at least when it
comes to writing for an audience they can sympathize with (people who
want to learn to program).  An expert programmer has already created an
effective internal model and metaphor for programming, which is not
shared by technical writers who are not experienced programmers (or
experienced in the appropriate domain).

Also, a good writer will not just tell how to write an effective
program, but how to write a *good* program.  In order to do that, you
have to be able to write good programs.

You also should have something to say that's not just a rephrasing of
the documentation -- new content, new perspective, something.

  Ian