Copying a database

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Sat Jun 1 15:04:23 EDT 2002

Billy Ng wrote:

> I need you guys help on mysql again.  I need to push my python program to
> production now, but I don't want to recreate the mysql database on the
> production box.  I want to copy the database from the development box to
> production box.. Would anybody please tell me how to do it, thanks!

Investigate mysqldump -- it dumps your entire database to a file
that you can then install on another mysql server using the basic
mysql command line client. It's also one of the better options
for doing backups -- backing up the database files themselves is
not future-proof, as I've found to my detriment.