urllib, urllib2, httplib -- Begging for consolidation?

Dmitri I GOULIAEV dmitri.gouliaev at telkel.net
Thu Jun 6 20:18:27 EDT 2002

Hi, John J. Lee !

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 10:55:07PM +0100, John J. Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jun 2002 brueckd at tbye.com wrote:

> > Problem #1 is what makes me throw my hands up in frustration when we talk
> > about, e.g., expanding the urllib APIs to have some way to do a HEAD
> > request: it doesn't belong on that level of functionality.

> I think you mean "it doesn't belong in a module named 'urllib2'"... or at
> least you should mean that ;)

In my opinion, he means that.
And, by the way, "it doesn't belong in a module named 'urllib2'" because I would assume, that module named urllib* works with URLs. Am I wrong ?

[...]

> > That generic
> > interface is for making it trivially easy to fetch the contents associated
> > with a URL, independent as much as possible from protocol.

> Only part of urllib2 (OpenerDirector &c) is a generic any-old-url-scheme
> API.  The rest (eg. AbstractHTTPHandler, HTTPRedirectHandler) is
> HTTP-specific, and can be used on its own, without going through the
> generic stuff.

What does HTTP-specific stuff inside urllib-module ? Why is it there ? Why not in httplib ?

Best regards,

--
DIG (Dmitri I GOULIAEV)

All below this line is added by my e-mail provider.