Creating Dynamic Web Pages (ZOPE)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jun 17 16:17:42 EDT 2002

"Hugh Cowan" <hwcowan at hotmail.com> wrote ...
> Steve,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion and sample web-site, I will definetly
> check-it out.  Does DreamWaver support ASP then, or rather provide
> support?  I mean, I know that you could just add the ASP code mixed in
> with the HTML manually, but does it offer any RAD type tools to help
> make using ASP easier?

DW does indeed support ASP, though it will also generate code for Cold
Fusion or Java Server Pages. The new DW MX product apprently adds PHP and
some others.

The reason I suggested DW is its ability to quickly build reasonably exact
web page layouts, coupled with the ability to define templates whose layout
characteristics can quickly be applied to some or all of the pages in a
site. It's different from FrontPage in making it easy to define your own
templates rather than mostly using pre-built and somewhat clunky "themes"
that scream "this is a FrontPage site".

> Also, I thought that Dreamweaver was more of just a HTML Editor, while
> something like Zope provided extra functionality, tools, wizards,
> etc.. to allow you to create Dynamic Web-Sites quicker and easier?  I
> am just trying to figure out where to concentrate my search for
> software and tools.

Zope's acquisition features can indeed be very helpful in propagating useful
behaviours to all necessary portions of a site. I'm not aware of wizards,
but I wouldn't be the first person to ask about Zope, since although I've
run it a couple of times I'm planning to wait until v3 to really try to get
to grips with it.

> I originally looked through the various *Freeware* web-sites for HTML
> editors -- but there are so many of them out there (hard to pick one
> from the other -- almost makes you want to go back to a plain old text
> editor).  While some offer advantages over others, they all seem to
> basically assist you in generating the HTML code for web-pages (either
> by coding or using a WYSIWYG type interface)?

DW UltraDev comes wtih Fireworks, which is extremely capable at building
spiffy graphics like rollovers. DreamWeaver appears to generate reasonably
lightweight HTML (though the JavaScript tends to burgeon a bit when you
start to polish up your interface with dynamic graphics). It's also  fairly
liberal at letting you edit the resulting HTML without stopping you from
using WYSIWYG mode.

I think probably anything further should be done by email, as we are
drifting well away from this NG's topic. I would still like to understand
what would be involved in adding another back-end to DreamWeaver, as it
would make a great addition to something like WebWare (one of the more
interesting Python web frameworks).

regards
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/