Poll: Readable languages

Ingo Linkweiler i.linkweiler at gmx.de
Thu Jun 13 07:24:59 EDT 2002

Poll:
How readable is the code of this languages?

I do not want to give an exact definition of "readable", but it should
include each of this questions with ~25%:

- Can someone who has never seen the language before understand what the
program is doing without reference material?
- Can a developer write code that they can return to after six months
and still understand it?
- Can you use this language for teaching basics of programming and for
showing, how an easy algorithm works?
- What is your general optionion about his language?

1.)
-----
ABC:
ADA:
APL:
BETA:
C++:
COBOL:
DELPHI:
EIFFEL:
FORTH:
FORTRAN:
JAVA:
LISP:
MODULA:
PASCAL:
PERL:
PROLOG:
PYTHON:
SML:
SCHEME:
SMALLTALK:
TCL:
VISUAL BASIC:
other  (  *name of language * ):
-----
2.)
My most used language is:
-----

Please vote....
1 = Easy to read, like pseudocode :-)
2 = Good
3 = Average
4 = difficult
5 = nearly impossible, when not knowing the language :-(
blank = I do not know this language or have no opinion.

Please only vote, if you know at lease 2 languages.
Please reply to : i.linkweiler at gmx.net

This poll is done for my diploma paper at university of dortmund, germany.
I will not use your e-mail for any purpose.

Thanks for your help.
Ingo Linkweiler

PS: I know, that a NG is not the best place for a poll, and some people
do not like questions like this in a NG.
But as I want to get opinions of many programmers, including users of
NGs, I hope you can accept it.