Numerical Methods in Python

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 24 18:15:07 EDT 2002

Russ Dilley wrote:

> I am interested in the numerical capability of Python as well as it's
> applicability to system administration  tasks.

[snip]

> I would like to focus more attention to become proficient with a single
> language and, based on what I've seen, it seems that Python might be
> appropriate for use in system administration AND numerical programming.
>
> Does anyone have any insight to the applicability of Python to either, or
> both, of these tasks?

One reason I love python is _exactly_ what you said. Now I only need to
remember ONE syntax and I can do what I used to need
shell+awk+sed+perl+IDL/matlab+C to do. That's a _huge_ gain. These days I
have it down to Python + C (but much less C than before, now it's only for
tight loops) + Mathematica (symbolics). And with those three I can get by
whether I'm writing numerical code or a script to fix my network
configuration when I move my laptop. I love it.

On the topic of python for science, I gave someone else a bunch of pointers
you may find useful at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=aeqfuh$88n$1@peabody.colorado.edu

Cheers,

f.