Why does Python mix OO concepts and non OO concepts for operation s on basic types?

James T. Dennis jadestar at idiom.com
Mon Jun 10 17:45:40 EDT 2002

Steve Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:

> "Jarno J Virtanen" <jajvirta at cc.helsinki.fi> wrote ...
>> Wed, 22 May 2002 13:13:06 -0500 Michael Bauers wrote:
>>> Why do you say x = []; x.append('a'), but get the length with len(a) ?
>>> Is there a reason for this sort of inconsistency?

>> why not check the FAQ?
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw.py?req=all#6.5

> I have updated this entry, and would welcome any feedback about the
> changes -- it's just a first attempt, and I was trying not to be too
> defensive about the inconsistencies. After all, history is important even in
> technologies.

> regards
>  Steve

	Personally I think it would be generally nice if I could
	call most of the list and string methods in both ways:

	list.append(somelist,someitem) would be the same as:
	somelist.append(someitem).

	And the obvious:

	string.join('',something) would be as: ''.join(something).

	(Personally I find the latter rendering to be ugly; a hobgoblin
	of consistency).