Newbie question (anyone programming with curses?)

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sun Jun 23 22:52:21 EDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Emile van Sebille" <emile at fenx.com>

> hellboy
> > I'm quite new to Python, but I'm positive that version 2.2 (for
> Windows)
> > comes without curses module, though documentation states it is
> included.
> > import curses gives me "Import Error: no module named curses" message.
> > Anyone knows where to download curses module (for Windows)?
> >

> from http://py-howto.sourceforge.net/curses/node2.html
>
> No one has made a Windows port of the curses module. On a Windows
> platform, try the Console module written by Fredrik Lundh. The Console
> module provides cursor-addressable text output, plus full support for
> mouse and keyboard input, and is available from
> http://effbot.org/efflib/console.
>
> Hope this is current and helps,

I found the effbot's version a bit unstable on Windows 9x (a lot actually)
and I wound up writing WConio, based on the TCCONIO.C sources for MinGW32.

    http://newcenturycomputers.net/projects/wconio.html

but it's still not curses.  I have considered many times creating a GConio
(Generic Console I/O) module wrapping both WConio on Win32 and curses on
Unixoid OS's.  Haven't done much other than think about it though.