Working with different word processing formats?

VanL vlindberg at verio.net
Fri Jun 7 15:15:39 EDT 2002

Hello,

Does anyone know of a solution for exporting editing (and
ideally, importing) common word processing formats?

I am trying to find any existing work in this area, pure
python or a wrappable library, that I could use or extend.
I don't even need to go straight to the target format -- I
could output XML or LaTeX that could then be transformed.

I would like this to be as cross-platform as possible (which
is why I'm just not using Pythonwin + com).  I'd like to hit
Linux, Windows, and MacOS X.

If anyone knows of anything, please speak up!  I just cannot
find *anything*...  The closest thing that google turned up
was an apparently defunct Python + LaTeX scientific text
editor, and that was only a mention, not any actual code.

Thanks,

VanL