application development - separating content from function

Graham Ashton gashton at cmedltd.com
Tue Jun 25 19:50:28 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 14:56, Henry Baumgartl wrote:
> Thanks very much for the input!
>
> I do believe it has helped me to take off my blinders, look around and
> realise what it is all about.

In that case it's probably a bad time for me to mention this link for
thoughts on how to get your GUI app to run with different toolkits (i.e.
different platforms):

  http://www.ootips.org/porting-gui.html

I totally agree with Peter -- adopting a few of the XP principles will
help you enormously, especially the idea of YAGNI;

        1. Select a very small subset of the outstanding functionality
           on your wish list (i.e. approx 1-3 weeks worth of work).
        2. Pretend the remaining functionality on your wish list doesn't
           exist (and that it never will -- no cheating).
        3. Write code until you have implemented enough to satisify the
           functionality identified in (1).
        4. Congratulate yourself on a job well done, release to
           SourceForge, nip down the pub to celebrate...
        5. Goto 1.

For a huge improvement on the above, learn about unit tests before you
start, and how to use PyUnit. There's an excellent example here that
covers the basics of both:

  http://diveintopython.org/roman_divein.html

> Going for the ultimate design and functionality prize may well have
> (indefinitely) delayed actually getting the project under way.

I used to be terribly prone to doing that myself. Maybe I still am.

--
Graham Ashton