win32com under Cygwin

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Mon Jun 3 13:25:47 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 08:11:25AM -0400, Steve Holden wrote:
> > Tom Wiencko <tew at wiencko.com> wrote:
> > > I noticed that the Python distribution with Cygwin does not include
> > > the win32 extensions.  The only distribution I can find for them is
> > > a Windows executible, which does not seem to know about Cygwin.
> > >
> > > Can these libraries be loaded under Cygwin?

No (*).

> > > Do they even work under Cygwin?

No (*).  They were built against a completely different Python --
Win32 Python.

> > > Can somebody point me toward how to load them if it is possible?

One would have to build them first.  See below...

> But don't expect a cygwin port to be a simple recompile...

Agreed...

Besides converting MSVC workspaces/projects into Makefiles and dealing
with normal platform porting issues there are also ABI issues that
will make the porting of win32com even more challenging.  Unless, one
compiles using the gcc "-fnative-struct" option, it will require source
level changes to get COM to work.  IIRC, *everything* (e.g., the Cygwin
DLL, Python, win32com, etc.) must be compiled with "-fnative-struct"
or nothing.  So, until Cygwin gcc defaults to "-fnative-struct", I think
this effort may be doomed. :,(

Nevertheless, I would *love* to be able to use win32com under Cygwin
Python.  It has been on my list to try since I first got shared extensions
to work under Cygwin Python.  If anyone would like to collaborate, please
let me know.  If successful, I would definitely include win32com in the
standard Cygwin Python package.

Jason

(*) Or, at least I doubt it.