wxPython performance

RPM1 rpm1deletethis at nospamfrontiernet.net
Sun Jun 2 08:19:38 EDT 2002

"Andrei Kulakov" <ak at silmarill.org> wrote
> Hello,
>
>     "hello world" type program from wxPython tutorial takes 6
> seconds to start on my cel 366 128mb system (running Debian). Is
> this typical? Why is it so slow? I'm looking for a graphic
> toolkit that'd be fairly quick. I don't want to use Tk because of
> the looks.

I found wxPython to be slow also.  I wrote a program to syntax
highlight a specific type of log file with Tkinter.  I thought wxPython
would look better and it has more controls available so I ported it
to wxPython.  The performance was so bad I went back to Tkinter.

For example, loading a 1MB file into the text box and syntax highlighting
it in Tkinter takes about 2 seconds.  In wxPython it took more than
30 seconds.

Patrick M.