Python hits the spot

Antaeus Feldspar feldspar at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 22 13:45:21 EDT 2002

Siegfried Gonzi wrote:

	[snip]

> Thank you Billy Boy for a forgiving user system Windows XP which in turn
> relieves Python's "wreak havoc" behavior.

	[snip]

You know, a month or so ago, I was listening to complaints from a webpage builder

that of all the Web browsers out there, only Internet Explorer rendered his

friend's HTML code "correctly".  When he was pressed for what the other browsers

did "incorrectly", it turned out that the would-be web-maven wanted to
be able to use the digit "0" and the letter "O" interchangeably in
hexadecimal values -- not because there was any particular benefit to
mixing-and-matching, merely because they were used to be careless about
such things.  Internet Explorer was the only one that accepted such
behavior without even an alert that it was wrong.

"Forgiving"?  Or enabling?

One hard-won piece of wisdom I've learned about computer interfaces over
the years is "people learn by doing; if you allow them to do it the
wrong way, they learn to do it wrong."  Even if you say "In this case,
it doesn't make a difference, so why not?" that only builds in bad
habits that compound on each other until the time comes that it *does*
make a difference.  That's the hard lesson that has been learned about
safety systems, is that building in six layers of safety to protect
workers from the consequences of their actions will in fact train
workers to get all six wrong at once.

	-jc