Creating Dynamic Web Pages (ZOPE)

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Sat Jun 8 05:17:05 EDT 2002

Michael Hall wrote:

> I notice no-one has suggested good ol' CGI. For a relatively simple job
> such as this, a few basic Python CGI scripts, some templates and MySQLdb
> could also be used ... oh, just noticed the MS-SQL database. There is
> probably a module around to cope with MS-SQL, no?

Object Craft have a Python wrapper for MS SQL Server. See
http://www.object-craft.com.au
And while you are there, have a look at their Albatross CGI-based
stateful Web application
framework, which could be just what is required for the rest of the Web
site envisaged.
In my experience, nearly all Web applications and database-driven Web
sites end up needing
to retain state information sooner or later. Might as well start
with a framework which can go the distance. Albatross is especially nice
in this respect because
you can choose alternative application models, starting with "SimpleApp"
which is just what the
name suggests, and later progress to more complex application models
through mixins without
having to start from scratch or throw away your existing code.

Tim C