Newbie question: is there a python wrapper for a distributed task?

Rex K. Andrew rx.andrew at ieee.org
Sat Jun 1 23:47:23 EDT 2002

Hi folks,
 So I'm totally new here. I'm considering several scientific/data
crunching projects that need a lot of CPU hours. We have at hand
several linux clusters, but we want to expand (and take over the
world.)

I was looking at FIDA from the Chemistry Dept at UW and the Cosm
library from Mithral. These are ways to "glue" a server process to
the client processes on the nodes. (i.e., all the distributed
computers.) I got to wondering: has anybody used python as
the "glue"? python works on lots of computers now, and an
app can be compiled into it if necessary using SWIG. And the
python community has lots of netware contributions.

I dunno, just a troll, I guess. It seems like it might be a good
marriage.

Any pointers, URLs, flames, etc, appreciated. Thanks,
Rex