Windows versions of Python---pros and cons?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 20 15:42:09 EDT 2002

Tom Loredo wrote:
> Redhat
> uses Python, but does their reliance on an old version still cause
> problems?.

They use 1.5, and all their scripts use "python" on the #! line, so if
you use a more recent version, you need to put python2 (or python2.2 or
whatever) on your #! lines. Nat a big deal, really, but a little
annoying. I'd love to see RedHat put python1.5 on THEIR #! lines, which
you wouldn't think would be difficult. Maybe RedHat 8.*, they have been
getting complaints.

> Actually, I need to develop stuff that other Win32 users can use,
> some probably distributed via the McMillan installer (which I presume
> works as well with Active State as with the python.org version).
> So I'm stuck here....

I'd do most of your coding under Linux, and just use Windows to test an
package it up, unless you're doing com or something Windows only.

> The fact that Dell shipped it with a defective
> install of Win98 did not help its cause.

Is there such a thing an a non defective Win98? Seriously, use Win2k if
you can, I still don't like it, but it provides a modicum of stability
and a almost usable command line.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov