Can Distutils include .pyd files directly?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Jun 12 03:17:29 EDT 2002

"Bjorn Pettersen" <BPettersen at NAREX.com> wrote in message news:mailman.1023837255.23228.python-list at python.org...
> I've built my extension modules using the MS Devstudio IDE and now I
> would like to use Distutils to create a Windows installer for me that
> puts both the debug and release versions of the extension in the
> python22\DLLs directory. Is this possible? If not, is there a way to
> have Distutils build my extension in both debug and release mode and
> install both?
>
> -- bjorn

Sure. The 'build' command builds a 'pseudo installation tree' in the
directory build\lib.win32-2.2, all of this will later be installed by
the 'install' command.
So you can
  python setup.py build
to build the release version,
  python setup.py build -g
to build the debug version, and
  python setup.py install
will install all of this into Python22\lib\site-packages.
  python setup.py bdist_wininst
will create a windows installer containing the debug _and_
the release version (everything that's in the build directory).

Thomas