Counting lines

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Jun 8 13:14:04 EDT 2002

Since this thread has drifted into line counts, I think it worth sharing
a resource that a fellow-developer shared with me:

    SLOCCount:
    http://www.dwheeler.com/sloccount/

Take a look.  It's not written in Python (I don't think), but it seems
to do a large superset of what pycount.py does.  SLOCCount counts the
lines of code in a large number of different programming languages,
using rather clever rules and heuristics both to identify what language
a file actually is, and to discern which lines are code versus comments
(including, e.g. Python docstrings).

SLOCCount also reports some stuff about cost and development efforts.  I
would take that with a grain of salt, for lots of reasons.  But it's fun
seeing just how many kilodollars you -should- have been paid to write
your open source application :-).

Yours, Lulu...

--
mertz@  | The specter of free information is haunting the `Net!  All the
gnosis  | powers of IP- and crypto-tyranny have entered into an unholy