Poll: Readable languages

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Thu Jun 13 10:09:20 EDT 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:36:06 -0400 (EDT), Attila Horvath wrote:

> In my years of experience I have come across VERY readable assembler and
> very unreadable COBOL, PASCAL, FORTRAN, ADA, C/C++, JAVA, etc. So I
> suggest that a langauge does not inherently make resultant code readable.

True, and false.  It is possible to write bad code in any language; but in my
opinion, any programmer who has mastered Python (takes what, a couple of
weeks? :-) *tends* to write more readable code than an equivalently
accomplished programmer in any other language.

Those of us who have been here a while have learned from experience of the
ease of writing Python code, and reading it again later.  I have to admit, most
of the Python I write is little stuff to do jobs I would have done with Bourne
shell in the past... but I tend to save them for reuse as I would not have done
with a command-line pipeline.