Binary generation with distutils? (Freeze, py2exe, etc.)

A.M. Kuchling akuchlin at ute.mems-exchange.org
Thu Mar 21 13:00:41 EST 2002

In article <a7c3ai$k4e3e$1 at ID-59885.news.dfncis.de>, Thomas Heller wrote:
> I've thought a little bit more about this. IMO PEP 262 (database of
> installed packages) should be implemented, so that the database
> is updated by distutil's install command - then we can write a
> robust uninstall.

PEP 262 still has many, *many* XXX comments marking potential issues
that need to be cleared up before it can be implemented.  Most aren't
particulaly complicated, just cases where I'm not sure if a feature is
needed or if it's just extra fluff.

Once those uncertainties are cleaned up, I'll try to get it
implemented for the Python 2.3 time frame.

--amk                                                             (www.amk.ca)
#1 rule of the intergalactic explorer, Doctor: if you hear somebody
talking about "good vibes" and "letting it all hang out", run a mile.
    -- Captain Cook, in "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy"